We are the professional organization* providing the same woman-centered training and certification which has exceeded national standards, bridging technical knowledge with a compassionate personal touch.
Over 7,000 Birth Doulas-Activists trained since 1983
It can be hard to sort out the different doula training programs available. Comparing costs, philosophies of childbirth and training, and exactly what you will learn from each program can sometimes be a confusing and daunting task.
The intention of toLabor is to educate and certify professional birth doulas so that they may help their clients become active participants in their birth. To learn how to support their clients so that they may feel a sense of confidence and power that can be carried forward into their parenting as well as into their daily lives. Pregnancy, labor, and birth serve a purpose ~ to help prepare the way to raise a child.
toLabor believes that all people benefit from support and resources that will help them be aware of, and educated about, the options and choices that are available so that they may make informed decisions concerning their birth experience. We embrace the evidence that a person who actively participates in their birth will have a healthier birth for their baby, their-self and their family; physically and emotionally. We believe that in every birth, there is room for compassion and respect for the process. We believe this a civil right, a human right. We believe in creating and fostering a community of change.
- toLabor offers the most rigorous doula training program, providing you with a solid base of knowledge about the physiology of the body and how it works during labor and birth, allowing you to become aware of what kind of physical support your client may need.
- toLabor has long been recognized for its holistic approach to childbirth. We limit the number of instructors to maintain the quality and integrity of our program. Our instructors are respected for their incorporation of psychological aspects and mind-body integration in their classes.
- toLabor respects obstetric procedures as beneficial in some circumstances but potentially detrimental when applied routinely. We emphasize evidence-based practices, informed consent and prevention of medically unnecessary interventions as the healthiest choice for babies and women.
- toLabor childbirth professionals help increase parents’ confidence in the natural process of birth. We teach relaxation and coping tools to work with pain and discomfort, rather than techniques for avoiding sensation.
- toLabor teaches a form of activism and communication that is based in non-violence. Our emphasis is on helping the woman and/or their partner to find their voice, to be their own advocate. We believe change will occur if respect is present and adversarial words and actions are not.
- toLabor’s doula training program advocates for the midwifery model of care, regardless of care provider or place of birth (hospital, birth center, or home).
- toLabor’s training gives you the skills and confidence necessary to provide the emotional and psychological support your clients need.
- toLabor’s program encourages trust in the birth process, respects it as a woman-centered passage, and is dedicated to supporting all people’s birth choices.