We are currently in the process of reorganizing the birth doula training workshops. Please check back for workshops in 2019, or join our contact list to be updated and notified of events in your area as we move forward.
Skills You Will Learn
In the course of this weekend workshop & certification program, you will learn to:
- Present your client evidence-based research to educate about available options, choices, and alternatives for the healthiest and safest birth.
- Create & preserve a safe birthing environment understanding its importance to the psychological & physiological process of a healthy, normal birth.
- Develop & define the scope of your practice & learn how to create professional protocols for the services you choose to offer.
- Provide highly effective labor support to your clients by utilizing techniques which can reduce the client’s discomfort, promote faster, safer births, & reduce the need for medication & medically unnecessary interventions.
- Support the birthing family when pregnancy or birth doesn’t go as planned.
- Communicate effectively & professionally with clients, partners, families, & medical professionals, establishing trust & mutual empowerment among the birthing team.
- Conduct prenatal & postpartum visits, take a comprehensive history, and maintain client confidentiality.
- Market & promote yourself as a professional Birth Doula in your community.
Please Note: There Are No Prerequisites to Attend the Workshop
What You Will Receive
Your tuition includes:
Attend 3 full days, 26 hours of information, affirmation, and inspiration.
- toLabor Program Manual
The toLabor manual contains over 200 pages of worksheets, resources, sample forms, & certification paperwork.
- Membership Activation (one year)
- Personal Attention, Networking & Support
Receive support from the toLabor local sponsor
1 email or 30 minute phone consult with Executive Director (fee for additional consults for 30 mins and 60 mins)
Listing on toLabor’s website to receive online referrals
- Certification Forms
Earn internationally recognized certification through completing the requirements. Additional certification fee required, please contact toLabor office for details.
And as a Special Bonus: Past graduates of our training who are current members may attend a workshop again for a reduced rate.
Workshop at a Glance
The toLabor workshop has been designed to encompass a variety of learning styles and includes a strong emphasis on experiential learning. These exercises provide participants with hands-on practice using labor support techniques and with an introduction to skills such as palpation of fetal position during pregnancy, and an introduction to basic pelvic examination.
A summary of the workshop outline:
Day One ~ Friday 10:00 – 6:30
Registration and Introductions
Defining Our Role
Understanding the Dance of Labor: The 4 P’s
Gate Control: Three Ways to Reduce
Pain in Labor
Tools of the Trade: Comfort Measures,
Using the 5 Senses
Day Two ~ Saturday 9:00 – 7:00
Physiological “Normal” Labor & Birth
vs “Typical Birth”
Birth Plans & BRAIN
Experiential Learning: Touching & Listening with Pregnant Volunteers
Breathing, Relaxation & Positions in Labor
Day Three ~ Sunday 9:00 – 7:00
Cesarean Sections & VBACs
Experiential Learning: Vaginal Exams, Creating a Safe Space
Working with Interventions
Ethical Guidelines for Birth Doulas
Working with Interventions: What, Why, When, Options
Designing Your Practice: Services, Compensation, Marketing, Contracts
Review our Certification Requirements