Requirements for Certification
- Attendance at our 3 day Birth Doula Training workshop (no longer than 5 years may elapse prior to sending in completed requirements)
- Completion of the required reading list (see below)
- Observe/Audit a series of Childbirth Preparation Classes
- Observe/Audit a Breastfeeding Education Class
- Written summaries of 6 births you have attended
- Written evaluations from 3 people you’ve assisted (may be their partner).
- Successful completion of the written exam
- Current membership* ($50) and certification fee ($25)
We recommend that our participants follow through with the certification process and encourage completion within a year of the training. When all requirements are successfully fulfilled you will receive your certification documentation and your listing on the website will be upgraded to “Certified Professional Doula”. Re-certification is required each year. If more than 5 years elapses between original certification and re-certification, further requirements will need to be completed.
*First year membership included in tuition
Required Reading List for Birth Doula Certification:
toLabor Birth Doula Training Manual – Resources/Articles section (received at workshop)
Nursing Mother’s Companion– Huggins or Bestfeeding – Renfrew, Fisher, Arms
Optimal Care in Childbirth-The Case for Physiological Birth – Henci Goer & Amy Romano
The Birth Partner – Penny Simkin
The Complete Book to Pregnancy and Childbirth – Sheila Kitzinger
Pushed – Jennifer Block
Heart and Hands – Elizabeth Davis
The VBAC Companion– Diana Korte or Birth After Cesarean – Bruce Flamm
What Every Pregnant Woman Needs to Know About Cesarean Section – www.chilbirthconnection.org
Mothering the New Mother – Placksin
* A Guide to Effective Care in Pregnancy and Childbirth – Enkin, Keirse & Chalmers
* Understanding Diagnostic Tests in the Childbearing Year – Frye
*These last books are required for reference purposes. Although you are not expected to read each book from cover to cover, we do require that you be familiar with their content and strongly encourage you to own or ensure access to a copy once you begin your practice.
Requirements for Re-Certification
toLabor Certified Professional Birth Doulas are required to fulfill yearly re-certification requirements to maintain their status:
- Current membership ($50) with toLabor
- Certification Fee ($25)
- One written report of a birth you have attended this year ~ please use Birth Report Form
- One written evaluation from a birth client you have attended this year~please use Client Evaluation Form
- Written summary of what you have learned, participated in, created and/or experienced in the past 12 months that is related to the pregnancy year. Describe what you did to enhance your role as a birth doula and/or create awareness of doulas in your community or beyond. You may describe classes, workshops, seminars, etc that you attended. Examples can be participating in events in your community such as but not limited to; Meet the Doula Night, birth circles, health/birth fairs, movie screenings, speaker and/or book events.
Membership and re-certification work will be due each year in the month your certification expires.
IMPORTANT: Failure to re-certify each year will result in the inability to use the title certified and removal from our website listing. If more than 5 years elapses between original certification and re-certification, further requirements will need to be completed. Requirements will be addressed on an individual basis; please contact Membership to discuss your status.